Stone cladding has been around for some time now. If you want to give your wall some textured but timeless look, then you should consider stone cladding. Typically, stone cladding is the application of layers of stones on the walls. These layers can be natural or artificial, and their principal aim is to give the interiors of a house a more elegant and natural look.
But then again, stone cladding can be a real or simulated stone application on almost any structure built from any material. In fact, steel and concrete buildings can accommodate stone cladding as part of the original architectural design.
Almost all types of stones allow cladding – artificial stones, sandstones, or slate-stones.
Stone cladding has a concrete-like base, and it is a lightweight stone product, which is usually fitted to a substrate to reduce cost.
Why stone cladding?
We chose to use stone cladding for many reasons. But the most common reasons include:
- Protecting walls: stone cladding is an impressive way to protect your interior and exterior walls. This layer of stone protects the actual wall from damage, getting dirty, or any deterioration. That means your wall will last longer. Keep in mind that stone cladding is fireproof, waterproof, and durable in all weather conditions.
- Better insulation: stone cladding comes with an exceptional level of insulation. It protects walls from any damage as well as ensures inhabitants get a better living micro-environment.
- Better aesthetics: stone cladding is available in multiple colours, formats, shapes, and textures. So, you can choose from this wide-ranging feature and install them in your home for a better look. If you opt for natural stone cladding, you’ll be adding some immense beauty to your home.
- Maintenance: maintaining stone cladding is much easier than maintaining natural stones. With stone cladding, you only need to clean it regularly – it keeps it in pristine condition.
- Better durability: stone cladding originating from natural stone is highly durable. They are derived from various materials, including Quartzite, Basalt, Marble, and Lavastone, which are inherently durable.
- Versatility: stone cladding from natural stone is naturally robust, meaning you can use the stone in various places. Additionally, designers can design the stone to precisely suit your imagination – specific needs alongside a spectacular finish.
- Increases the value of the property: if you use natural stone cladding, undoubtedly, the price of your property will rise. So, when it’s time to sell your home, the value will go up.
The cost of stone cladding
The cost of cladding varies significantly with the type of stone, area of coverage, and logistics. However, the average cost ranges from $110 to $310 per meter square. Therefore, for an average-sized home, you can spend between $20,000 and $35,000. If you own a storey building, the cost can drastically move higher to thousands of dollars.
If you plan to do stone cladding, you can get the accurate cost by measuring the area you want cladding and then choose the stone cladding panel system. Now, work out the size of the clad fitting on the surface area. This will give you a rough estimate.
Stone cladding can be quite expensive, but it’s worth considering it dramatically changes the look and the feel of walls, pillars, surfaces, or columns. The distinctive look of stone-clad allows for use with many textures and colours – this completely transforms your living space.