Interior design is a very complicated task due to the number of factors that influence the process. Being able to transform a common space into a work of art is not something that everybody can all achieve.
From choosing the colours or tapestries of the walls, the curtains, furniture, accessories, lights and plants, and that everything combines perfectly, is a skill that is recognized worldwide. Interior Design is a project discipline that involves the process of improving the function and qualities of the interior space.
What is an interior designer’s job?
An interior designer is a person who combines environmental psychology, architecture, and product design to create environments that, more than a place, are experiences in which to live. In a few words, it looks for the most suitable combination between the client, the architecture, its style, and the needs.
Nowadays, interior designers in Sydney are not only present in people’s homes, but also in businesses such as restaurants, bars, supermarkets or shops, due to the fact that interior designers know what to stand out from the competition to sell more, and their need to have an image of excellence.
The interior designer, in addition to the work of a decorator, has the function of projecting the space coherently, following technical standards of acoustics, ergonomics, thermal comfort and lighting engineering. His work is restricted to interior environments already built and a few minor modifications, which do not intervene in the structure of the construction, such as the demolition of walls and windows creation.
What is an interior design project about?
The interior project, in case you want to hire a professional interior designer or become one of them, usually has the following stages:
- Briefing: instructions. This is the moment in which the client tells the professional their wishes and ideas for the space, besides establishing a budget to invest in the project.
- Measurement: it consists in measuring the whole environment (walls, doors, windows, water and electricity connections as well as existing furniture). Besides the measurement, it is also extremely important to take many photographs and specify what already exists in the space, such as the type of flooring. There are several aspects to take into account before beginning any work.
- Preliminary study: it is the design of the first ideas that will be implemented in the project.
- Draft: it is the evolution of the preliminary study, with designs usually made in a software program. Normally at this stage, a 3D presentation of the project will be made, which will give the idea of how the environment will look.
- Executive project: after the client approved the preliminary project and requested the corresponding modifications, the executive project begins; in it, there is all the information and necessary measures so that the professionals (bricklayers, painters, carpenters, etc.) can execute what was proposed in the preliminary draft.
- Accompaniment: This stage depends a lot on what was agreed between the designer and the client, but usually technical visits are made to the place of the work and with the distributors to confirm that everything is being done according to the specifications.
It is important to find an interior designer which style people are comfortable with due to the fact that otherwise the final result will not satisfy the client’s expectative and will end in a waste of money and time.